Monday, February 15, 2010

The Buzz


You know 8 years ago if you told me that I would be this jazzed about the Olympics, I would have never believed you. You see, I voted no. Or would have if given the opportunity. But that's another story for another day on another blog. The point is that i was dead set against this for political reasons,social and economical reasons, and really? Common sense told me our city could not afford this,not with so many other problems lingering overhead. Well the problems are still here,some worse now than ever,but there is a change. Since the vote for the Olympics went through, society seemed to realize their Government was human. It made a mistake. And if we wanted to see change we needed to bring it about ourselves. And in a lot of ways the spirit of those protesting stemmed from exactly this. I get it, I felt the same way and still do.

But here's the thing.
It's 8 years later. It's here. It's not going away and we are hosting it. Now I don't even want to think about what it cost, but the irony of it all? The protesters yammering about the cost for the last 8 years raised the security costs 10 fold with their threats of protest and action. Not that smart. And after what happened the other day I declare that terrorism. And I hope anyone involved in such brazen acts of cowardice are put to justice.

You speak for the homeless and hungry on Hastings? Did you not see those people out in droves to see the Torch go by? One of the torchbearers himself a former addict and still living on the streets. Did you think about all those people who seemed so alive and excited that the Torch was coming to their neighborhood only to have that taken away because a line of protesters decide to derail the relay. Or how about the Veterans who missed their chance with the Torch as a salute to those fallen when it again it was derailed to another location. These people have nothing to do with your cause, they never made the budget. They aren't ignoring the Lower East Side, they live it for god's sake and they wanted what everyone else was getting in on...spirit.

Unless you are here,have hosted something like this or live in Disneyland...you just have no idea. It's amazing. It's like one nonstop moving party. But not drunk obnoxious,trying to grope you type of party. Good times and merriment everywhere you go. It's like a 3 week Mardi Gras. Sure it has it's issues, but for the most part people are really enjoying it. I never thought I'd be bursting with pride like this. Don't get me wrong, I love my country..but this is new for us.

This must be what it feels like to be American, but with health care of course.

4 comments:

  1. "This must be what it feels like to be American, but with health care of course."

    Love it! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, no, you forgot the shame I often feel as an American. I went for a walk today in the park, and every single mom got out of her big huge SUV with her one little toddler. Let's not forget the 8 years of world-class shame Americans experienced, in the form of he-who-shall-not-be-named. Nope, it feels better to be a Canadian, believe me. Pretty much all the time, Olympics or not.

    ReplyDelete